Sailors warned on CO poisoning

The RYA has unveiled their Be Alarmed campaign, to alert sailors to the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, and the lifesaving role a carbon monoxide sensor can play.

The campaign urges sailors to fit an alarm, avoid blocking up cabin ventilators and service on-board appliances such as stoves, ovens and heaters.
The RYA has also produced a video (see rya.org.uk) detailing the symptoms of CO poisoning, which include headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, confusion, stomach pain and shortness of breath.
Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour, taste or smell. It can be produced by anything that burns gas, wood, oil or coal.
In 2014 a mother and her 10-year-old daughter died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning in a cabin cruiser on Lake Windermere and more recently two fishermen, were found dead on their boat in Whitby Harbour, are believed to have died as a result of CO.
Visit the RYA for more details

SOURCE:http://www.sailingtoday.co.uk/news/sailors-warned-co-poisoning/

seaboatreview